17 December 2005

flash to black

So I'd like to begin this post by informing you all of my current soundtrack. It will mean absolutely nothing to about 99% of you-- in fact, I can think of one, maybe two people who will read this and know who I'm talking about. But that's not the point. The point is Will Sartain. The point is In The Dark.

I'm glad I've gotten that out there.

Another dreamy 24 hours halfway across the world. Time passes so strangely here; I can't get over it. In a way it reminds me of AMIGOS, this perversion of moments that leaves me in some places forever and in other not at all. I open my eyes, and I'm blinded by a rush of hot desert sand, and my hips are flexed out so my legs can wrap around the saddle that is wrapped around my camel which is plodding methodically along the train; I blink and then I'm in the moadon, pupils dialted to American movies projected on the wall with my back propped against Danny and the couch; I close my eyes and take a gasping breath and it's morning.

Again and again, all of these tiny fleeting images that blind me and then fade-- no, flash --to black. Lack of sleep has left me with dry eyes for weeks; no number of steamy showers or eyedrops or brief fits of crying can rehydrate my vision. But I don't mind, I don't mind, I wouldn't have it any other way. Becayse every moment gives me something else to think about.

Maybe I am not a Zionist. Maybe I am not a very good Jew, maybe I do not believe in Eretz Yisrael the way I am meant to. But I am thinking about what it means to be the person I am not, and I am slowly constructing opinions of my own, slowly developing an understanding of this strange place that is supposed to be my homeland. Slowly, I am learning what it means to function within the Old City walls. Slowly, I am coming to grasp the complexities that run the bloodstream of this ancient country.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kudos Jim, kudos.

-Sum...aka Lauren... and really your Others.

2:22 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola chica...i just wanted to say that i completely know what you mean, wiht some moments lasting forever and some not at all...i remembering being there, and as different as it is from Hondruas, feeling the same about a lot. that was vague, sorry, but i know you know what i mean...
much love,
emilia
and btw did you ever go meet yossi!? because you MUST!

3:03 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that will sartain, he certainly gets around. i'm so glad you're having a life-changing experience, and that it's been worth your while. it was obvious that it would be Big, but i'm glad it's vast, too.

-Kit

2:13 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Here!!!

Hey Dory! After lots of mom's nagging, Dane and I have gotten started with our DJ deal. The Website has launched today. Check it out: dj-chai.com Everything but the lights have arrived here, and we have tested our setup! It is awesome. Maybe I should just email you. But hey! Everyone, checkout our website and tell all of your friends!
~Jake

6:22 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home